I feel under the weather today and cooking Spam just crossed my mind. Spam is a family favorite, however It’s not on top of my list (Bacon is my first luuuuv). So in this rare I’m-not-feeling-well occasion, let me share my super easy Spam recipe with a delicious soy & honey sauce on a bed of garlic rice and over easy sunny side up egg. YUUUUUUM!
Total Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Spam, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white rice
- 3 tsp oil (for the spam, egg, and garlic rice)
- salt to taste
- garnish (optional): sesame seeds and spring onions
Combine white rice and salt in a bowl then mix well.
Heat the pan and pour the oil.
When the oil is hot enough, put-in the garlic and cook until color turns brown and texture is crispy
Add the rice. Mix the rice well with the garlic while frying.
- Add a small amount of oil to the pan so that it just thinly coats the bottom. Turn the heat to high and get the pan and the oil really hot.
- When it does, crack an egg into the pan. When the edges begin to hold their shape, even beginning to brown a bit, wet your fingers and flick a few drops of water into the frying pan around the egg, and cover the egg with the lid.
- Keep an eye on the egg. After 20 to 30 seconds, the white will be slightly puffed and just-cooked through, the yolk still shiny and runny.
- Mix your soy sauce and honey. Set aside.
- Add cubed Spam to an oiled pan.
- Fry up the Spam til’ browned as much as possible on both sides.
- Add soy sauce mixture.
- Be careful cause the sauce thickens fast. Put heat on med high for 2 mins and stir to coat spam and leave it for 2 more mins.
Put all your cooked ingredients in a bowl, garnish with sesame seed, and spring onions. ENJOY!